Looking for a El Paso or Horizon City Personal Injury Lawyer? You’ve come to the right place.
Personal injury law covers situations in which a person’s body, mind, or emotions are hurt, usually due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness. It includes wrongful death, or situations where an injury proves fatal. Another term for personal injury law is tort law.
Usually, a personal injury case begins when the injured person, known as the plaintiff, sues a person or business, known as the defendant. A personal injury lawsuit claims that the defendants caused the plaintiff’s injury and demands compensation, usually in the form of a money payment known as damages. Although personal injury law covers any kind of case where a person is injured, some kinds of personal injury cases are more common than others.
Common persoanl injury cases include:
Bear in mind that negligence is often established in the following types of common personal injury accident cases:
- Car Accidents: Including rear end accidents and intersection accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Boat Accidents
- Bus Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Bicycle Accidents
- Medical Accidents: including birth injuries, surgical errors, the failure to diagnose, emergency room malpractice and other forms of medical malpractice
- Slip and Fall Accidents: including slipping and falling on uneven ground, wet floors or slippery spots
- Workplace Accidents: including workplace illnesses such as Mesothelioma and injuries caused by machines or other equipment
- Defective Product Accidents: including foodbourne illnesses, children’s toys, defective drugs and defective medical devices
- Animal Bite Accidents
- Consumer product liability cases, including defective products, medications and recalled products
- Injuries from ultrahazardous activities, like the use of explosives or chemicals
- Injuries to reputation caused by defamation or injuries to mental and emotional health caused by international infliction of emotional distress or caused by a physical injury
When Should I Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer
Our personal injury attorney Jaime Alvarado focuses on one type of personal injury claim, such as car accidents injuries or medical malpractice. We also have experience in tort law, which involves civil litigation to recover financial damages in a settlement. The following are a few scenarios where you might consider hiring an expert personal injury lawyer Jaime Alvarado to represent you:
- The insurance company refuses to pay for your injuries
- You’ve suffered a long-term or permanently disabling injury
- You’ve suffered a severe short-term injury that resulted in significant medical costs
- You suffered an injury or illness as a result of negligence by a doctor, nurse, hospital, or other healthcare provider. In this case, you would hire a medical malpractice attorney
- You were exposed to a toxic substance as a result of negligent contamination of air, water, or food.
- You’ve experienced psychological trauma or illness as a result of another’s negligence
- Your’re being sued by someone claiming negligence on your part
Will Your Insurance Company Help With My Personal Injury Case?
It may seem that аll іnѕurаnсе companies ѕhаrе thе ѕаmе mоttо: Dеlау, Dеnу, Dеfеnd. Your insurance company wont provide you with a lawyer or give legal advice regarding your personal injury but they may cover parts of the medical bill if you have been injured. The two of you have very different goals. An insurance company’s goal in an accident is to pay out as little as possible if your’re involved in a personal injury, and your goal is to get as much of your injury and damage costs covered.
You can fight off these dire consequences by acting quickly to hire the right lawyer for your case or claim. Let us help you turn things around. Time is of the essence. We understand that an unresolved insurance claim or personal injury claim can be life altering: Jaime Alvarado can:
- Help preserve the critical evidence to win your claim or case
- Help ward off creditors pending resolution of your claim or case
- Help secure medical care for you
- Help secure available insurance coverage for your claim or case
- Help keep you out of financial ruin
- Help secure the full value of your claim or case
- Fight on your behalf so that your time can be spent living your life
Understanding The Statue of Limitations
Much like there is a statue of limitations within which a prosecutor’s office must charge an individual for an alleged criminal act or forever lose their opportunity to do so, within civil law, there are limits to how long one can work to recover damages for alleged negligence that resulted in an incident that caused harm. The purpose of having a statue of limitations in place is that it protects parties from indefinite exposure to legal action, even in cases in which negligence is obvious.
A statue of limitation specifies how long you have to bring a lawsuit against someone for harming you.
Generally, from 1-6 years, most commonly 2 years. It starts from the time
Statues of limitations serve as very strict deadlines. If your claim is filed outside the designated statue of limitations, then your case will likely be dismissed for failing to adhere to the statue. While there are a few exceptions that might allow your case to be heard even if you filed after the statue of limitations, its best to file within the appropriate time limit provided to avoid this issue even arising.
Exceptions To The Statue Of Limitations
Most states have the discovery rule exception which basically extends the filing deadline of the statue of limitations. Instances in which this rule is applicable include when the injured person:
- didn’t know that he or she was injured, or
- didn’t know that the potential defendant’s actions may have caused the injury.
Narrow filing windows are common with personal injury cases. You only have so long to bring your case before the court to receive just compensation. The first step toward obtaining our help is to contact us at 915.852.0500 for your personal injury needs.
Jaime Alvarado & Associates, PLLC are committed to providing their clients with professional, timely, and experienced representation for your personal injury. We aim to obtain full and fair compensation for our clients including: pain and suffering payment of medical bills, lost wages, and future lost wages. We will also give you a thorough explanation of the legal process of procedure, time, costs and the value of your case.
With most personal injury cases, the value of each case depends upon permanent and sever the injury is, type of medical treatment received, future medical treatment, emotional distress and the recovery period.
If you have been injured or involved in an accident, please contact our experienced personal injury attorney Jaime Alvarado, to guarantee that your legal rights are protected. He has the experience required to handle complex cases and will work aggressively to bring you a favorable result. Call 915.852.0500 today for a free consultation.